Thursday, June 14, 2007

Cheers and ode to the inclusion of women!

Okay, when I first told my sister I was making a blog, she said, "now your not going to write about your feelings and stuff..." I have mostly kept to kid reportings, but I can't help but share my enthusiasm and joy at the news of our large body of the Christian Reformed Church (the denomination I grew up in), called synod, permitting women to be delegates to synod and leaders in the church. This decision only confirms for me the gifts of so many women I know and love in their ability to proclaim and share the gospel and TO VOTE on key matters of the denomination. I celebrate with our church's, Paster Lynn Likkel and Erika Dekker and many others who have worked so hard to follow the spirit and the calling they can't deny to be leaders in the church, despite some very hostile situations. All I can say IT is HIGH TIME and I was an inpatient, cranky person in this process. I am so thankful for the women and men who have been working tirelessly (and been kind, surprizingly NOT cranky in the process) on this issue since 1974 (the year after I was born). The Grand Rapids Press had a nice article featuring this great news http://www.mlive.com/grandrapids/stories/index.ssf?/base/news-36/118173690883190.xml&coll=6. I could go on and on...but I am so happy and rejuvenated in the my denomination and proud of the decision. Other newsworthy notes, Kevin has one class left in his summer Tues/Thurs class, Yeah for him and Yeah for us, we will get to see him more! It has been a hot summer day, we have spent the last couple of days in the pool on the deck, dumping, filling, refilling, drinking lemonade, more lemonade...Over the weekend, Kevin's uncle John Wisselink came to town (actually for synod) and we were able to go to lunch with him, it was a joy to see him, he is a kind wonderful uncle that we unfortuantely rarely see because he hails from Telkwa BC. We had a great time and of course I didn't bring my camera, but you can try to imagine a man that looks like Kevin's dad, a little more hair (sorry dad :). Well off to bed after a long day, Love to all Kerrie and Fam

No comments: